Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Gigantic Preggy and More Birth Days

Rewind 1 year and eight months (approximately).
We know that I'm pregnant but I've been pushing off going to my first ultrasound just because I was finishing off stuff in school and couldn't find a convenient time to go. Finally, in to my third month I make an appointment for the ultrasound. When I walk in and tell the receptionist that I'm there for an ultrasound she responds "Oh, you didn't get a call". Oh, no. "Well the machine is not working." Groan. "But maybe it's fixed now, why don't you go see." So I go to the ultrasound room, and sure enough the technician is on the phone with tech support and fiddling with the machine. After a few minutes she's off the phone and turns to me saying "Lets do this fast before it stops working again". So I pull up my shirt, get lathered with gel and we start trying to see whats inside of me. After a minute or two the technician says to me, "Well, I think God fixed the machine so that you can have your US today." I'm thinking - oh, no. But then she says - "You have twins." I was totally shocked. I couldn't stop laughing and saying no way, it can't be, I can't believe it. When the ultrasound was over I called Micah and just said "We need to talk, but don't worry, it's nothing bad." When I got home I told him, and he reacted basically the same way I did. After we got over our initial shock we were like - "Well, I guess we're moving to Alon Shvut."
Thank G-d the pregnancy went by fine with no complications at all. I was so humongous by the end though, I could barely stand up. Just walking a few steps was exhausting.

The later ultrasounds showed that Adi, who was positioned higher up, meaning he would be born second, was breach. We decided to hire a private doctor to deliver the babies to try and avoid a c-section as much as possible. We met with him for the first time on Wednesday, Sep 17th, after a long day of running around on errands. That night, or actually the next morning, I woke up at 4am feeling contractions. That wasn't so unusual, because I had been feeling contractions every so often for the past month or two. So I waited to see if they would stop. Well, they didn't. So at 5 I woke up Micah and we started timing them. At 6 we called, Joyce our midwife who was going to act as a doula, and our doctor, and told them we were heading to the hospital. We dropped Aliza off at my parents and headed out. I walked in to the hospital at 7. When we got there they tried to get a monitor of both babies, to hear check their heart rates and my contractions. This was not an easy task. They would be able to find one baby, but then not the other. And when they did finally hear both, one would slip away. So after fiddling with it for a little while (and me trying to deal with the painful contractions meanwhile) our doctor decided to insert a monitor onto the first baby's head. He had told us about this possibility ahead of time, so we were fine with it. This way they would easily be able to monitor baby A (later known as Eyal) from inside, and baby B (Adi) from the regular monitor on the outside. So they finally get everything in place, but now I cant really move around, which makes dealing with pain much harder. The contractions were getting pretty intense by then, so I thought maybe to get an epidural. They started giving me some kind of liquids as a prep for the epidural. But then I felt like a needed to push. It had only been a little more than 4 hours from the start of labor, so I was sure the doctor would tell me not to push yet. But a nurse checked me and said that I was fully dilated and that I could begin pushing. A few minutes later, after only a couple of (really hard and long) pushes, at 8:30am, Sep 18th, Eyal was born. I was so shocked that he was out already that the first thing I said was - Jesus Christ!!
We knew that Adi was breach, and our doctor had said that he could deliver him that way by basically putting his hands in and guiding him out. So thats what I was expecting to happen at that point. But apparently, after Eyal was born Adi turned a little and was sort of sideways. So the dr. put his hands in and nudged him a bit so that he was head down, then told me to push some more. I was like - what?? I thought you were just gonna pull him out? But no, I had to push some more, and a few minutes later, at 8:40, Adi was born.
From start to finish, a total of 4.5 hours. Baruch Hashem. May all my births be so amazing.
My stay in the hospital, including Shabbat, was ok and pretty uneventful. On Sunday morning we all came home to start our crazy life together.

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading and seeing everything. Keep writing -- it's so much fun!

    ReplyDelete